Three Questions to Andy Walker, the Scriptwriter


MA in Screenwriting is a joint programme of TAMK UAS and University of Salford, UK. The third edition of the programme started in September.


Some of the lecturers of the course have already been introduced in this blog. When Andy Walker was about to leave after his three week long period with the MA in Screenwriting students I managed to steal two minutes of his time for a photo on our roof garden, but there was no time for an interview. So it was made in Facebook afterwards:

Who are you and what is you job in general?
My name is Andy Walker and I'm a scriptwriter. I've worked on numerous unmade feature film scripts that are probably doomed to sit in offices around Europe and nearly, but not quite, get made. This doesn't stop me trying! Fortunately, BBC Radio 4 have been very kind over the years and I've had several original plays broadcast. I've made several short films and have shown them at festivals in London, Paris, New York and, of course, Manchester.

What do you do with MA in Screenwriting?
I'm currently an Honorary Visiting Fellow (in Screenwriting) at the University of Salford where I teach part-time. On the MA Film Screenwriting, I encourage the students to take a fresh look at genre and realise the power-of-the-premise. I lead workshops throughout the year where we critique student scripts and also supervise the writing of final project scripts; several this year have gone on to receive funding and reach the latter stages of Hollywood script-writing competitions.

What do you think about MA in Screenwriting?
I think it's a terrific course for anyone who wants to focus and get down to some real, professional level screenwriting and produce cinematic scripts that are not only original, visually breathtaking and beautifully written but have a chance of finding their place in the international marketplace.

Read all stories about MA in Screenwriting

Pictured: Andy Walker