By Noora Honkaniemi:
Here are a few reminders when spending Christmas in Tampere:
- Remember that shops are not open normally on 23.12-26.12, so shop for food beforehand!
- For example Stockmann is open 24.12. 8-12 and closed 25.12.-26.12.
- Siwa (at Rautatieasema, next to train station) on the other hand is open 24.12. 6:30-16, 25.12. 12-23 and 26.12. 6:30-23.
- Alko is open normally 23.12 at 9-20 but closed 24.12-26.12.
- Bars are open quite typically, to around 2 or 4 am depending on the place.
- A place worth visiting is the Kalevankangas cemetery (located in Kalevantie) around midnight, which is beautifully lit by hundreds of candles.
- Some of the restaurants are open on Christmas but mostly they are closed. So go to the grocery store, buy a big ham and some glögi, gather up some friends and enjoy Christmas together with homemade food!
- The last blue buses on Christmas Eve leave around 2 PM. Find the last buses here
- Walking in the city center can open a whole new perspective when it is peaceful and quiet.
- You can attend a Christmas sauna 24.12. at 11-14 at the Kaupinoja Sauna (located by lake Näsijärvi close to the UKK-Institute). Glögi is offered at 11-13. 25.12. – 26.12. the sauna is open 12-17:45.
- If you really want to tune in to the real Finnish Christmas experience, remember to watch TV 24.12. at 11:29 and watch The Snowman, a very traditional animation movie by Raymond Briggs on the TV2 channel.