Go, the world is waiting!

Me admiring the Manhattan skyline from the other side of the river in Brooklyn
Story and photos: Niina Virtanen, Media management '07

In the fall of 2010, a design and architure exhibition called Nordic Models + Common
Grounds - Art and Design Unfolded was opened at Scandinavia House

About a month and a half ago when I was walking from work to home, I passed by the Empire State Building. From the rooftop of my building I could see both Manhattan and New Jersey. I took dance lessons in the midst of Broadway theatres near Times Square. Now, I'm back on the snowy streets of Tampere, and all I can do is to commemorate my amazing fall with nostalgia and gratitude.
A Finnish architect, designer and musician Tuomas Toivonen at the exhibition opening

I spent the last fall as an intern at the American-Scandinavian Foundation that operates in a culture building called Scandinavia House in New York
. I worked with the programs department helping out with different programs they offer. I helped to organize events, I worked in concerts, movie screenings, seminars, panel discussions, performance art shows and and with a design exhibition that opened in October. I also photographed all the events I participated, did graphic design and helped with running arrens. One of the highlights of my internship was a fund raising gala at the Plaza Hotel, where the quests of honor were Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway
The Swedish musician Christine Owman was one of the performers of the  Out of
Scandinavia - New Indie Music from the Nordics -concert series

No, my intention is not to brag about my experiences, but to inspire everyone to go abroad as well! For an internship, as an exchange student, or whatever you can think of. My trip to New York was without a doubt one of the best experiences of my life so far. I learned priceless lessons of work and life, and even thought there were some negatives too, mostly concerning bureaucratic paper work, I wouldn't change anything.

A member of the Live Action NY -perfomance art group doing her piece



If you dream of going to New York as well, I'd be happy to help out and give some pointers. American-Scandinavian Foundation is also searching for some interns every now and then, so do take the bate if you're interested in getting an all-round experience working with culture. I'll gladly help out with that too. If you want to read more of my stories about New York and life after it, visit my blog: alternativefingerprint.com
|||