The Body and Protection, a video installation in Showroom Berliini by Fanni Niemi-Junkola Berlin 18.8.-10-9-2016


During my last week in the amazing city of Berlin and within all the art and cultural happenings, I was pleased to meet with our head of Fine Art study path, Fanni Niemi-Junkola; presenting her new video work. The installation The Body and Protection consists of two video works Breath and Protection (2016). The artist is interested in presence, body and power & notions of freedom and safety.




The moment I received her invitation via Facebook I messaged her immediately and I asked if I can come in the pre-opening night due to my travelling back to Finland in the day of the opening 17.8.2016. She was very welcoming of the idea and invited me to the gallery.


The work itself was very intriguing and thought-provoking. The music was composed by Pekko Käppi – a master of ancient Finnish-Karelian bowed lyre - It added to the diverse layers of the work and supported the images. Cinematically the videos were carefully planned and pictorially impressive, that made it pleasing to watch.



Both videos have been filmed by Tommi Moilanen, who also works in TAMK as a lecturer of cinematography and lightning. The videos were edited by Ville Hakonen of Wacky Tie Films, a production company by our former students http://wackytie.fi.

Fanni & I at the Showroom Berliini

The exhibition is up until 10.9.2016 in Showroom Berliini, so give it a visit if you are there!
http://www.showroomberliini.com/showing-now/4591493496.

The Breath work will be shown later this fall in TAMK Kino at Mediapolis.


Text: Moe Mustafa, TAMK Art & Media student
Images: Fanni Niemi-Junkola, Tommi Moilanen