Turkka Felix Tervonen: Ärvings - The State of Mind



Turkka Felix Tervonen: Ärvings - The State of Mind

Ikuinen gallery 9.-18.11.2011
mon-fri 12-16


Hi there. I grew up in Helsinki in a place called Ärvings. It’s just east of Kontula and Myllypuro. Actually its name is Vesala but I’ve always liked the Swedish name better. Having experienced elementary school, junior high and high school in Eastern Helsinki, it defines me as an individual. Ärvings was my habitat for 16 years. Since then, I have lived in many places and different cities but Ärvings is the place which tells who I am.

My exhibition crystallizes around the word ‘Ärvings’. Its semiotics doesn’t open to me but I’m mesmerized by its typography. I love typography and I love drawing letters. The two key influences in this exhibition are graffiti’s and Norwegian Black Metal bands’ logos. Both of them played a big part in the development of my visual eye.

Pablo Picasso has once said that amateurs copy but pros steal. So like him, I’ve shamelessly stolen the typeface from my friend. I hope he understands.
-----------------------



Ikuinen gallery is a contemporary art project space located in the old factory complex Finlayson in central Tampere. The gallery is run by a board of fine art students in Tampere UAS School of Art and Media as part of their study program.
Ikuinen gallery’s main focus is in presenting interesting and high quality student work, whereas work from other art school students and teachers as well as visiting artists are regularly also at show.

More about Ikuinen Gallery exhibitions
Ikuinen gallery